Skip to main content

Stick Stickly: A Friend Who'll Always Stick Around

When I was a child, there was only one journalist I trusted, and that was Stick Stickly.

We return now to the domain of the weird ass early years of Nickelodeon, back when the network was apparently in film school and obsessed with student art flicks, willing to try anything, no matter how bizarre it might seem in hindsight. Stick was the host of Nick In The Afternoon, a programming block on the network that ran summers 94-98 every weekday afternoon. While likely the most uncreative fictional character ever made, he holds a special place in my heart, and apparently many others as well. Some claim him to be boring and uninspired in design, but I think he's brilliant. I mean, who else besides children used popsicle sticks for entertainment? This is why he succeeded, because he was a visual medium they understood.

I don't really remember much about Stick Stickly, I just remember Stick Stickly himself. I remember that he existed, and that he really made me happy. Much like Face, he was a friend in simplicity, someone who felt like he was only there for me, and I think this is something only children are capable of. They think everything exists for them and them alone, hence why we often have to tell them, or were told ourselves as kids, "the world does not revolve around you", because when you're that young, you don't know any other world except the small space you yourself inhabit, and therefore you assume that, yes, the world does indeed revolve around you.

As a child, I did crafts all the time, probably much like any other child growing up in the early 90s. Arts and Crafts were a real thing, boy. Macaroni pictures and glitter and glue and friendship bracelets made of beads and lanyards and you name it we made it. But none were more prevalent than the popsicle stick. We used them for everything, man. We built houses out o them, we put faces on them, you have no idea the magnitude of inspiration we had for goddamned popsicle sticks. And the thing is, the crux of early Nickelodeon was that it was a "network for kids, by kids". This meant they didn't really rely on advertising because they felt children could tell when they were being advertised to. This also meant their merchandising was very slim to none. Oh how the times have changed. We have Spongebob and Rugrats to thank for that. But this is why Stick Stickly exists and works, because he feels like he was made by a kid for other kids. He is the physical living embodiment of the concept Nickelodeon was founded on, ultimately, and I think that's why children who came of age when I did remember him so fondly.

After more than a dozen years off the air, he finally returned in various promos and then in 2011 he returned fulltime to host the Friday blocks version of U-Pick. Even with the fact that it was clear his new segments were targeted to a different demographic, what with more mature language, humor and an emphasis on modern technology, it was still nice to see him come home. It was like greeting an old friend you didn't realize how much you'd missed until they came back. He went on hiatus again in 2012 only to return once more to host fulltime in 2015, where he's been ever since.

In some ways, I'd argue he's just as iconic as Face or anyone else on the early Nickelodeon, but I don't think I could make that argument very strongly considering he doesn't seem to have retained as much a following as Face or other entities from that time period did. Still, he's residing in my heart, and I'm sure many others, because he felt like a friend we created, that we made for ourselves, and he never talked down to us, he never insulted us, he merely was.

And when you're a kid, that's really all you need from a friend.

Is for them to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whatever Happened To Robot Jones: An Exercise In Roboticism Via Autism In Young Women

Back in the early 2000s, Cartoon Network went through an extremely strange time period airing very artsy almost surreal cartoons long before stuff the likes of Adventure Time made it normalized. Among these shows was one such cartoon titled "Whatever Happened To Robot Jones?", whose title became thusly - and I feel somewhat intentionally - prophetic, because now people often ask it themselves. I always took the title to be a sort of joke on the question people ask long after they've graduated school and think back to their youthful days, saying, "Gee, I wonder whatever happened to Caleb Browning?" But as it turns out - and as I said I think the creator did this rather, brilliantly, intentionally so the show would become even funnier with age based purely off the title alone - now it has a somewhat entirely different meaning. I loved this weird artsy quirky period of Cartoon Network which aired a lot of shows I'll likely be covering on this blog because nobod

Campbells Snowman: Finding Familial Appreciation in the Fraudulent

    For as long as I've been alive, everyone around me has scrambled to mute the television as soon as an ad comes on. In fact, it isn't even just on television. Ads on Spotify, Youtube, advertising in general is considered a nuisance of the highest degree. So why do I have such a particularly fond feeling for it? I suppose a part of it could be nostalgia, certainly, because a lot of the ads that I recall happily are ads from when I was younger and that takes me back to a...well, I won't say a better time, but, you know what I mean. Either way, advertising to me has always been a source of comfort in one way or another. Hell, sometimes, late at night, I'll even channel surf until I discover a paid programming block and just let my television relay that back at me for the next few hours uninterrupted. There's just something safe inside of the advertising world. Something familiar in a world so teeming with blatant lies and corporatism. I just don't know what that

Gay Purr-ee: When Watercolored Cats Extoll The Virtue Of Love Through Song

I really love classic cartoons. Even though I'm only 31, I grew up watching a lot of older stuff, especially Looney Toons and Scooby Doo. But one thing in particular I love, that somehow isn't super well known despite being written by Chuck Jones and starring Judy Garland & Robert Goulet, is a tiny minimalistic animated feature from 1962 titled "Gay Purr-ee". It occasionally played on Cartoon Networks Cartoon Theatre (which, now that I've mentioned it, I should do a post on at some point I suppose) but I know I saw it long before that, I just can't really remember where or when . But hey, that's why the blog is called what it's called, right? Seriously though, some of these things - specifically the ones where I can't pinpoint its introduction into my life - almost seem like they've been a part of my life since I was born and given how old this movie is that could theoretically be the case for once. Either way, it's an absolutely beauti