Skip to main content

I Am Not An Animal: Achieving Oneness Through Interspecies Anthropomorphization

There's a lot of series that go unnoticed, under the radar, simply because of poor promotion or maybe general lack of interest. They're rather niche. But this happens, I've found, even more often in the realm of British television. A lot of factors go into this; often times it's because of an overwhelming amount of content is produced and thusly nobody can see everything that makes it to air, or sometimes a show is just too strange or weird to really be appreciated, or sometimes it's because they only make a certain number of episodes (something the American model of television finally seemed to adapt, for better or worse, in the last five years) and so there isn't as much to consume so people don't become really as attached because there's simply not enough content to spend enough time with to begin to care about.

Thankfully, I grew up (well, depends on context; in some cases I was lucky, as my parents were fairly democratic, open minded and into culture, so I had things like the IFC channel and saw a lot of live theatre, but they were also psychologically abusive monsters, so) having access to nice cable premium channels like, as I mentioned in the parentheses, the IFC channel. The IFC channel got a lot of rights to rebroadcast random stuff in the US, and a lot of that stuff was weird and somewhat obscure British television. One of those shows wound up being a series titled I Am Not An Animal.

I Am Not An Animal was created by a man named Peter Baynham and aired in 2004. It tells the story of a group of highly intelligent animals rescued from a vivisectionist laboratory and forced to live on their own. It has a very stylized, almost early South Park look to it, where everything looks like it's made of construction paper, and the visual aesthetic was honestly what was so striking to me when I first caught it. Thankfully, I stuck around, because goddamn was the show a work of art.

I, for one, was always a big fan of anthropomorphic animals. Having grown up in the 90s and 2000s, there was plenty of that to be raised on. In fact, most childrens entertainment for a good few decades consisted primarily of nothing but anthropomorphized animals, and we loved it. But this had a dark edge to it, it was clearly meant for adults, and had a bit of biting social commentary to boot. It's certainly not for everyone, I acknowledge that, but I appreciated it for what it was, and I still do.

I never really felt like a human. I mean, I'm not one of those people who think they're an animal or anything (my furry status not withstanding) but I definitely have always related much more to animals than I ever did with people. I made friends with animals much easier, and I never really, thanks to my autism, understood societies norms and social cues, thus leaving me all the more animalistic. Don't get me wrong, as stated, I don't take to the woods and bay at the moon or anything. But I also just never really felt that related to other people as much as I relate to animals. To live in society, there's so many laws and unwritten rules that one has to abide by, and it's just...overwhelming, to be quite honest, especially for someone like me. But an animal? An animal just wants to live their life, eat their food and take care of those they love, whether it's others in their pack or their own family. Now that's a lifestyle I can get behind.

The characters in the show bicker and have their issues, but they do, ultimately, come together to form a tight knit group that knows they're different, that knows they're definitely not the same as people, but still deserve to be treated as such, whether or not they're as intelligent as a human or not in the same way we gauge human intelligence.

I'm all for animal rights. I mean, I eat meat, I don't deny it, but I also am pretty much against hunting for the most part and am always glad to see labs stop using animals for testing subjects, especially for really brutal things. I don't like that horses are shot if they break their legs, I don't like that far too many dogs or cats are simply killed if they aren't adopted, and I really don't like how slaughterhouses function. There has to be a more humane way for these things to work. I won't stop eating meat, my body physically can't stand a plant based diet, trust me, I've tried, but I also want to see animals be treated a lot better than they currently are. Just because a chicken doesn't hold a degree in psychology or a walrus can't build a Toyota Tundra doesn't mean they're worth less or are less intelligent or deserve less a life in the wild.

I guess I'm sort of steering somewhat off topic here. I Am Not An Animal is a really unique little show that only ran for 6 episodes, but sometimes I think maybe that's all it really needed to make its point. Human beings are not better than animals. We are animals. It's the animals that are better than us. Animals don't start wars, animals don't cause mass shootings and animals don't generally abuse their young. I'm proud to be more associated with animals than people.

I am not an animal, no, but I sure do wish I were.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whatever Happened To Robot Jones: An Exercise In Roboticism Via Autism In Young Women

Back in the early 2000s, Cartoon Network went through an extremely strange time period airing very artsy almost surreal cartoons long before stuff the likes of Adventure Time made it normalized. Among these shows was one such cartoon titled "Whatever Happened To Robot Jones?", whose title became thusly - and I feel somewhat intentionally - prophetic, because now people often ask it themselves. I always took the title to be a sort of joke on the question people ask long after they've graduated school and think back to their youthful days, saying, "Gee, I wonder whatever happened to Caleb Browning?" But as it turns out - and as I said I think the creator did this rather, brilliantly, intentionally so the show would become even funnier with age based purely off the title alone - now it has a somewhat entirely different meaning. I loved this weird artsy quirky period of Cartoon Network which aired a lot of shows I'll likely be covering on this blog because nobod

Campbells Snowman: Finding Familial Appreciation in the Fraudulent

    For as long as I've been alive, everyone around me has scrambled to mute the television as soon as an ad comes on. In fact, it isn't even just on television. Ads on Spotify, Youtube, advertising in general is considered a nuisance of the highest degree. So why do I have such a particularly fond feeling for it? I suppose a part of it could be nostalgia, certainly, because a lot of the ads that I recall happily are ads from when I was younger and that takes me back to a...well, I won't say a better time, but, you know what I mean. Either way, advertising to me has always been a source of comfort in one way or another. Hell, sometimes, late at night, I'll even channel surf until I discover a paid programming block and just let my television relay that back at me for the next few hours uninterrupted. There's just something safe inside of the advertising world. Something familiar in a world so teeming with blatant lies and corporatism. I just don't know what that

Gay Purr-ee: When Watercolored Cats Extoll The Virtue Of Love Through Song

I really love classic cartoons. Even though I'm only 31, I grew up watching a lot of older stuff, especially Looney Toons and Scooby Doo. But one thing in particular I love, that somehow isn't super well known despite being written by Chuck Jones and starring Judy Garland & Robert Goulet, is a tiny minimalistic animated feature from 1962 titled "Gay Purr-ee". It occasionally played on Cartoon Networks Cartoon Theatre (which, now that I've mentioned it, I should do a post on at some point I suppose) but I know I saw it long before that, I just can't really remember where or when . But hey, that's why the blog is called what it's called, right? Seriously though, some of these things - specifically the ones where I can't pinpoint its introduction into my life - almost seem like they've been a part of my life since I was born and given how old this movie is that could theoretically be the case for once. Either way, it's an absolutely beauti